Saturday, May 26, 2012

Carra Jane Photography

If someone had told me in high school that one day I would start a photography business, I would have told them they were crazy.  I never even owned a camera until I got pregnant with our first child (unless you count those super cool disposable cameras that we all used in college :)  But after I had Addison my whole view of photography changed.  I wanted to take quality pictures that captured those special moments and told the story of her life.  I looked into photographers and at the time could not afford taking her to a professional, so I decided to learn to do it myself.  I had a good point and shoot camera and I learned how to use it for the next three years.  If you look at pictures of Addison as a baby you can definitely tell that I was in my learning phase :)  In 2009, my sweet husband upgraded my camera and I found a real passion for photography.  I often used my own kids as guinea pigs and would spend time setting up photoshoots with them to learn a new aspect of my camera, a new skill, or how to do something else in photoshop.  My sweet friends Jennifer, Amy, and Christy (who are all great photographers), would let me ask them questions and helped me so much the past few years learn the art of photography.

Fast forward two years and here I am starting a business.  Last summer, I started asking people if I could practice with them...my kids were getting tired of being my models :)  Then in October I started doing pictures for family Christmas cards and Santa parties.  At the time David was out of work so I started charging a little money, which ended up being a huge blessing at that time.  I was able to build up my portfolio, learn from my mistakes, and learn how to take pictures of people from all different ages and stages of life.  The other thing I learned though is how much time and money goes into photography... and I now understood why professional photographers prices are much higher than say WalMart or JcPennys.  I learned that the work for a photographer is not really spent in the hour or so taking the pictures, but it is spent in the hours upon hours afterwards editing those pictures and making them beautiful.  I also learned that photography equipment (lenses, props, backdrops, cameras, etc.) are really expensive, and like with any business you have to upgrade your equipment every few years.   If a photographer is going to make any money for their time and equipment they have to charge more.  I also learned that I love taking pictures...I love spending time with the families and the children capturing their expressions that are uniquely them.

I am so grateful for all the people and friends that have let me practice and take pictures of them over the past year while I have built my portfolio.  It has truly been such a joy for me and I have learned so much about photography, from how to get a cranky two year old to smile to how to try and make the experience of taking pictures a fun and relaxed time for a family.  I am happy to say that after one year of taking pictures of others I feel confident in my abilities as a photographer, and that is thanks to all of the people that have allowed me the priviledge of capturing those moments in their lives.  

Some of the new changes for Carra Jane Photography are...

I am taking the month of June off from business, and am working on my new pricing for the upcoming year as well as working on some stuff for my website, and mostly just spending a month focusing on my family.

I am working with a new printing company (White House Custom Color).   They are wonderful and one of the best printing companies around, so I am very excited about that change to the business.

Now that my portfolio building is over (I have done newborns, families, engagement, maternity, and a wedding)  all of my prices are going up, sitting fees and print prices.  I have researched prices in the Fayetteville/PTC/Senioa area and still strive to be one of the most affordable on location photographers around, while still being a business that helps my family financially.

I will only be taking 2-3 photoshoots per month.  My family is precious to me, and the time I spend with them I cannot get back, so we have prayed about how many photoshoots I can handle in a month and still be the wife and mother God wants me to be to them.  Once my slots are filled for the month I will not be taking other photos, so the key will be to schedule early.

I will be starting a facebook page in the next couple of weeks to checkout and send messages through.

Again I am so grateful for the people that have prayed for me and encouraged me as we have started this business.  My main goal is to bring glory to God through the talents that He has given me and to show the love of Jesus to those that I meet.  Thank you all again!


No comments: